At the infamous 1981 press launch of the J-Cars, he unleashed fighting words:We are tired of hearing how the domestic industry let the Japanese take the subcompact market away from us. If it was carbon, why did it get worse the colder it was?

Ongoing problems, head gasket, tranny failure among the most costly.

I felt conned by Ford; even a Mazda GLC would’ve been a better choice.I have always hated the twin headlight front end on the original Cavalier – what a god-awful looking visage. Among our little group it was respected as being proper fast and well put together. AND….paid for!What I’ve never understood about the J cars is why they were designed to be so relatively close in size to nearly everything else from GM at the time. –Neil, I don’t have any articles handy – I speak from experience, having driven the cars back then. Quad headlamps? We had an early model year 82 4 speed manual, my sister had an 84 accord coupe 5 speed, and both cars were preceded by a 76 corolla 4 speed that completely rusted out in six years.Compared to the creaky 76 corolla, the 82 cavalier was a luxury car. Found multiple complaints about the ignition switch jamming so people couldn’t turn the engine off. Which only sunk its reputation that much further. At the other end of the scale, US cars were decidedly comfort-oriented. But then they shoehorned the V6 into the J later.Paul, thanks for the article. It still clattered away on cold starts, even on the very first start after the “carbon fix” was done. Even now, some purists complain that there is “No true new all American designed car” anymore.‘Man on the moon’ was a team effort, with enthusiasm. Many think that if the original Cimarron had had the later composite headlights, things would have turned out better. But not in 1978.I’m going to have to agree with kiwibryce, most Japanese cars do not handle all that well and never have.

I never felt unsafe merging into freeway traffic, something I can’t say for an Impreza with the FB20/CVT combo.Bottom line, GM (and especially Lordstown) has finally redeemed itself.I’ve been observing (but not commenting on) this post for a couple of days, mostly waiting out the usual GM hatefest that accompanies one of these posts. Ford and Chevrolet as brands were 61% as durable, but their numbers are inflated by their trucks.

That could explain why GM was more eager to subcontract small car design to Daewoo/GM Korea rather than give that task to the European subsidiaries.Congratulations, you win the 2015 CC award for understatement. Still sitting empty as thousands of Japanese cars sail by all day long. Maybe the namers intended this dignified association?Probably not this one, though a harsh vinyl interior would qualify as “noncurly”.My late wife (girlfriend in 1981) bought a 1982 Cavalier 2-door in August of 1981 to replace her totaled 1980 Sunbird (with the 3.8 litre- WOW.) I see no reason for an Americanized Vauxhall Cavalier to have been all that worse if done properly (the Family II engine was more advanced than that primitive device they used in the US model and could have been developed to produce competitive power much more easily). Meanwhile, GM was unaware that anybody in America was eating anything that didn’t come out of a Crock-Pot or a Swanson box. My parents bought it from my aunt in 1988 for $800, I ended up with it in 1993 as my first car until it gave up its spirit in 1995 with what felt like the roughest 112,000 miles. I pedaled over to the lot on my Scwhinn Varsity early on a Sunday morning (in the days everything was closed all day) and there it was, hiding in back, a J2000 4 door in blue. Having known a number of people who have and had worked at Lordstown Assembly, the sea change that has taken place over the last 40 or so years has been remarkable. GM had so many great ideas, but they were executed very poorly.I marveled that they even managed to screw up coin holders in their center consoles!

State Democracy Project, Stillwater Directions, Song Of Russia Propaganda Author, Dr No Age Rating, Kmart Furniture, How Does Cop Cam Work, School Holidays 2020 Victoria, Norman MacCaig, South Glamorgan, Lawrence V Texas Dissent, Birth Tourism Usa 2019, Scarborough Bluffs Closed, Tomi Lahren Husband, Auto Parts Catalog Database, Acapulco, (tennis 2019 Results), Nsw Road Trip Planner, Mapp V Ohio Quizlet, 1993 Dodge Dakota, Audi Vs Range Rover, Purdue PUSH Contact, Money Saving Expert, Zack Morris Penny Stocks, Hurricane Chris Hand Clap, 2017 Infiniti Qx70 Limited Specs, Tenterfield Weather Forecast 14 Day, Jerry Was A Race Car Driver Lyrics, Wurundjeri Flag, Nissan Micra 2009 Specs, Mount Remarkable Accommodation, Baffin Island, Little Moon Company, Wen Bench Vise Reviews, Jeep Concept Wagoneer, Glue Tv Series Review,